Occasionally, the media in the U.S. focuses its reporting on the most unique claims such as being too scared at a haunted house or for a foot-long sandwich coming up too “short”. However unique some claims may be, a lawsuit really is the only way for an honestly injured person to be reimbursed for their injuries. These personal injury lawsuits are known as tort claims in the U.S. and these lawsuits have sparked products, such as children’s car seats, to be designed much safer than they used to be because of these personal injuries.
People can be injured in all different ways. In almost every case though, if someone or something is responsible for their injury, they may be entitled to compensation in order to be made whole again. In attempts to understand more about person injury claims, here are the top 5 most common types of injuries in which people are seriously injured.
- Vehicle Accidents – This not only includes injuries to the person in a vehicle but also motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians. It seems these types of accidents have been on the rise even more recently with the constant use of smart phones and people paying less attention to the road.
- Slip and Fall Accidents – This type of accident can happen anywhere such as a grocery store, someone’s house, or on a sidewalk. This is most common on property is not properly maintained, such as slipping from a spilled drink that was never cleaned up at a restaurant. Also, older people in many cases may be more prone to this type of injury.
- Boating Accidents – Just like vehicle accidents, boating accidents are not only limited to accidents that happen in and around boats but also include jet skis or larger ships. Boating accidents can result from anything such as having an inexperienced driver to the boat being defective.
- Accidents Resulting from Unsafe Products – A manufacturer of products that are unsafe may be required to pay for your injuries in certain situations where they could have designed the product to be safer in the first place. This includes anything from medical equipment to baby toys. Injuries from these types of accidents is what led things such as car seats to be much safer than what they used to be thirty years ago.
- Accident from Someone Else’s Intentional Behavior – This is also known as an assault claim and can occur even if someone did not intent to hurt you. For example, if someone throws a rock at the person in front of you but accidentally hits you instead, you may be able to recover for your injuries due to that intentional behavior.
In cases such as these, legal expertise may be needed to determine whether a person should be compensated, and by how much. If you were involved in a situation like this, stop by our office in Conway, South Carolina for a free consultation at Rankin & Rankin.