There is a maze of information and advertisements available for choosing a personal injury attorney. This can make it difficult to know where to begin.
When you are a victim of an injury it is common to have many thoughts such as:
- “Is the harm I suffered a personal injury case?”
- “What happens if I file a lawsuit?”
- “What will I get if I win my case?”
Some attorneys have their names broadcasted on commercials, while others don’t even advertise. While there is nothing wrong with consulting the first attorney you see an advertisement for, those advertisements should not be used as the only basis for choosing the correct attorney. One of the most important factors to consider before retaining your personal injury attorney is to choose an attorney who makes you feel comfortable and one you can be honest with when discussing your case.
Honesty and Integrity
The best way to determine your level of comfort with an attorney is to set up an initial consultation and get personalized answers to your questions and good idea of what the law firm and lawyers are all about. During that consultation be mindful of the attorney’s interest in discussing your case. An attorney’s enthusiasm and character may not seem like an important factor to consider, but many would be hesitant to hire someone who is not as eager as you are in obtaining a favorable outcome for your case, or someone who does not empathize with you or believe in your case form the start. This is an important factor because many lawyers often put more effort into those the cases they believe will have a higher payout to them in the end rather than passionately advocating for each and every client.
Before going into the initial consultation, have some questions ready to ask in order to gauge your rapport with the attorney. That way you can rest assured your case will be handled proficiently.
Questions to Consider Before Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney:
- What percentage of your practice involves my type of personal injury cases?
- What were their outcomes?
- How likely is it that I will win my case?
- What are the factors affecting those odds?
- Are you the only attorney that would be working on my case? If not, who else will be working with you?
- How long do you expect this case to take before it is resolved?
- How will you keep me informed of my case’s progress and how often will you communicate with me?
- Will I be able to speak directly with you if I need you?
Contact Us Today
We hope that this information was helpful as you seek an attorney to help with your personal injury. Luke Rankin and the team at Rankin & Rankin Law Firm offers free case evaluations and would love to discuss your potential case. Schedule your free case evaluation today by calling 843-248-2405 or by filling out the form below.
Rankin and Rankin Law firm is located in Conway, South Carolina and serves the entire Lowcountry area including Myrtle Beach, Georgetown, Charleston, Hilton Head, SC.